I was really excited to make this Apple & Gouda Grilled Cheese because it is super simple and delicious. I love making savory food, and this recipe is definitely that.
For this sandwich I used a smoked gouda cheese, and it’s up to you if you use smoked or regular. I think it would be great with both, but the smoked gives it this bacon-y punch that’s really special.
Pairing the cheese and apples is a no brainer (think cheese plate), but now you are sandwiching it between two crusty pieces of bread. Then grilling it up, you melt the cheese and it becomes perfection.
- 4 slices of fresh crusty bread (I like sourdough!)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 slices smoked or regular Gouda cheese
- Lay out your slices of bread. Add 1 slice of cheese to 2 slices of bread. Add apple slices on top of each slice of cheese (divide the apple slices in half between 2 sandwiches). Top with another slice of cheese, and then place the remaining bread slices on top. Slather butter on the top piece of bread.
- Heat your skillet over medium heat, and lay the sandwiches with the buttered bread touching the skillet. Butter the top piece of bread now. Place a sandwich press or heavy bottom skillet on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Cook for 3-4 minutes on first side, or until browned. Flip carefully and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side, allowing to brown (careful – second side usually cooks faster).
- Slice sandwiches in half and serve immediately!